Doesn’t it seem like Valentine’s Day was created by Hallmark to sell cards? That’s actually not the case – celebrating St. Valentine’s day goes back hundreds of years, originally a religious observance.
Nowadays, it’s all about romance – but all too often in a very commercial way. So here are my thirteen reasons why Valentine’s Day has its pros and cons. Do you love it? Or do you leave it?
1. Leave it: Commercialization has run amok.
3. Leave it: One-size-fits-all sentiments. Few of us are poets, but heart-felt words that we pen mean so much more than anything printed by a corporation.
5. Leave it: Most roses are shipped from the southern hemisphere, so they’re not very ‘green’ or very fresh.
6. Love it: Chocolate-dipped strawberries – yum! They’re starting to ripen this time of year, so they’re not a crazy indulgence. And they’re healthy, too…right?
7. Love it: Chocolate truffles
8. Love it: Anticipation – will he or won’t he _________ ? (You fill in the blank!)
9. Love it or Leave it: Secret Valentines - fun or creepy?
10. Love it: Candy hearts
12. Or even better – dinner in with wine and candlelight
13. The best: Treating our loved ones like it’s Valentine’s Day every day!
So how would you fill in the blank in number 8? The best answer will win a prize! So let your imagination run free – but keep it clean, please.